If you have begun the priceless journey of motherhood, you will undoubtedly pay more attention to your diet. It’s important for you and your growing baby to stay hydrated throughout these nine months. Here I am going to show some healthy drinks during pregnancy that are both delicious and nutritious and keep you hydrated.
Healthy Drinks During Pregnancy
1. Fresh Fruit Juices – healthy drinks during pregnancy
When you don’t feel like eating the whole fruit, fresh juices from sweet lime (musambi), oranges, pineapple, pomegranate, and grapes are a great way to get a serving of fruit in your diet. Musk melon, watermelon, and mango juice are all refreshing in hot weather. These juices are packed with all of the nutrients that fruits provide if they are fresh.
Benefits of Drinking Fresh Fruit Juices during pregnancy
- Fruit juices are easy on the stomach and provide all the nutrients without having to break down the food particles when eating food.
- It helps in boosting immunity. A strong immune system is always recommended. Its importance increases especially during pregnancy as it fights allergies and ailments and keeps the mom and baby safe.
- This is the time when you might not feel like eating something healthy all the time and have cravings for other tempting foods. While this is fine, but it might keep your stomach full and limit the intake of the needed nutrients. Thus having fresh juices can greatly contribute to your daily nutrition.
- It keep you hyderated.
2. Coconut Water – healthy drinks during pregnancy
Coconut Water is one of the most refreshing and nourishing natural drinks. It is loaded with potassium, sodium, calcium which are required for the growth and development of the baby. It also relieves exhaustion by replenishing the body’s natural salts lost through sweating.
Benefits of drinking Coconut Water during pregnancy
- It helps in restoring the electrolytes and mineral salts that are essential for the baby and the mother.
- Coconut water is believed to help prevent constipation
- It reduces morning sickness symptoms during the first trimester of pregnancy
3. Lemon Juice – healthy drinks during pregnancy
Lemons are generally safe and nutritious to eat during pregnancy. Lemons, in reality, are high in important vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that promote maternal health and the development of the child.
Benefits of drinking Lemon Juice during pregnancy
- Lemon juice can help in reducing the risk of nausea, headaches, cramps, and dizziness that can occur during pregnancy.
- As a good source of Vitamins, lemon juice strengthens the blood vessels and regulates blood pressure.
- It provides relief from constipation.
- Maintains the pH levels of your body.
- Lemon juice with honey if effective in reducing stress during labour.
- Having swollen feet is quite common during pregnancy and lemon juice in lukewarm water is proven to be highly effective in curing this.
4. Aam Panna – healthy drinks during pregnancy
Aam Panna is a refreshing and cool drink made from unripe green mangoes. It is both tasty and nutritious and is one of the best health drinks during pregnancy. Unlike any canned beverages, it is totally organic and free of harmful chemicals.
Benefits of drinking Aam Panna during pregnancy
- It’s high in Vitamin A which can help with blood problems during pregnancy.
- Aam Panna is a rich source of folate which helps in the baby’s growth in the womb and reduces the chance of any birth defects.
- It aids in the maintenance of healthy skin and eyes.
- Anxiety and mental stress during pregnancy can lead to depression. Aam Panna is known to reduce depression by simulating the nervous system and relaxing the mind.
- It helps you get rid of digestion-related issues that are common during pregnancy.
5. Buttermilk/Chaas – healthy drinks during pregnancy
Buttermilk, also known as chaas or chhachh in Hindi, is a popular beverage in most Indian households, particularly during the summer months due to its hydrating properties. This rejuvenating drink can be consumed every day, either before or after the meal, and has been linked to a variety of skin, hair, body weight, and many health benefits during pregnancy.
Benefits of drinking Buttermilk during pregnancy
- Buttermilk is a probiotic drink that helps in cleaning the intestine and boosting immunity.
- It provides relief from constipation, which is a common occurrence during pregnancy.
- The presence of rich calcium helps in the bone development of the baby.
- It optimizes the blood flow and regulated the blood pressure.
6. Milkshakes/ Fruit Smoothies – healthy drinks during pregnancy
Everyone will recommend fruit smoothies for pregnant women. Milkshakes or fruit smoothies are much needed for a well-rounded nutritional diet which helps in ensuring that the mother’s vitamin and mineral intake remains on track. This can be a great and healthy gulp between the full meals.
Benefits of drinking Fruit Smoothies during pregnancy
- Smoothies retain the fiber from fruits and help in fighting constipation.
- Milk present in them helps in the baby’s bone development.
- Milkshakes or smoothies are full of rich nutrients and are great for the overall health of mother and baby.
- Adding walnuts and seeds to it improves the content of protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids which are extremely beneficial during the 1st trimester.
- It helps in fighting infections and boosting immunity.
7. Saffron Milk | Kesar Milk – healthy drinks during pregnancy
Saffron is a royal spice that is harvested mostly in Greece, Morocco, Afghanistan, and India. It is known to have exceptional qualities that make it highly beneficial during pregnancy.
Benefits of drinking Saffron Milk during pregnancy | Benefits of drinking Kesar Milk during pregnancy
- Saffron is an antidepressant which means it lowers stress and controls mood swings which are also common during pregnancy.
- It improves blood circulation and provides comfort from digestion related issues.
- Saffron helps in relaxing the muscles.
- Although since has not proven this, but some people believe saffron milk can influence the baby’s complexion.
8. Water – healthy drinks during pregnancy
Lastly, the most obvious one. It may not be as delicious as others on the list (winks), it is without a doubt, the most important one. Your body requires more water during pregnancy to meet the demands of your changing body. Water is important for maintaining healthy blood cells and for keeping your body hydrated. Water is a vital component of breastmilk and is needed for proper lactation.
Benefits of drinking Water during pregnancy
- Water keeps the body hydrated enough and prevents nausia and headache.
- It facilitates good digestion and helps in smooth bowel movements.
- Water optimizes the body temperature ,maintains the thermostat levels and cools the body.
- It relieves gaestro issues during pregnancy.
- Adequate water in the bloodstream is essential to carry nutrients to the mother and the baby.
Drinks to Avoid during Pregnancy
Alcohol passes from the bloodstream and can adversely affect the baby’s growth.
Soft Drinks and other sugary drinks
Not a complete no but try to limit it as it contains a high amount of sugars.
Energy drinks contain high levels of ginseng and caffeine which can hamper the growth of developing babies.
Avoid juices that are packed as they are added with more preservatives and less nutrition.
Try to limit caffeine intake if you can’t completely get away with it. Instead of a full coffee mug, you might want to try a small or medium cup and limit 2 such cups at max per day. It can cause heartburn and disturb sleep.
A few words from CityMom
It is very important for a woman to keep hydrated during pregnancy. It’s natural to wonder which drinks are safe to consume while pregnant. Obviously, you should avoid alcoholic beverages because even moderate consumption increases your baby’s risk of fetal alcohol syndrome. Try these healthy drinks during pregnancy so that you pass these wonderful nine months with the least discomfort. In addition, also these 11 essential care tips highly recommended during pregnancy