Talk about ladoos an
Besan ladoos are delightful sweet balls made with gram flour (besan), ghee, and sugar. This delicious sweet is usually made for festivals and special occasions although the ladoo lovers need no particular reasons to enjoy this tasty treat! 🙂
For instance, my son can eat them all the time.
And do you know the best part?
Besan Ladoos (or fondly called besan laddu) are tasty and healthy at the same time. Their health benefits are immense but I will talk about the health benefits of Besan Ladoos after discussing how to make besan ladoo.
Besan ladoos are abundant in proteins, which makes them ideal for growing children. Since it is high in proteins, carbs, and essential fats, it is highly beneficial for underweight children.
If you and your kids get unexpected hunger cravings, then what could be better than a wholesome bite of your favorite besan ladoos.
Today, I am going to share the exact recipe I use to make Besan ladoos.
Let’s begin the learning process and understand how to make besan ladoos. We will begin with the list of ingredients first.
Ingredients – How to make Besan Ladoo
- 2 cups (200 grams) – Gram flour or besan
- 1.5 cup Sugar (225 grams) – make powdered sugar by putting it in a mixer grider
- 1 cup ghee (200 grams)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- A few crushed dried fruits, such as almonds (badam) and cashews (optional)
Recipe – How to make besan ladoo at home
Step 1 – how to make besan ladoo
Take 1 cup ghee and add it to a pan. Let it melt on low heat.
Step 2 – how to make besan ladoo
Once the ghee melts, add 2 cups of gram flour (besan) into the pan. Keep stirring the gram flour until it turns golden brown and gives out the pleasant aroma of its tempting flavor. When roasting the gram flour make sure that the flame is not too high.
Step 3 – how to make besan ladoo
When the flour is golden brown and fragrant, sprinkle some water on it and add 1.5 cups of powdered sugar to the mixture.
Keep in mind that sugar must be added only after besan is fully cooked, otherwise, the ladoo can have the taste of uncooked besan.
Now keep stirring the batter until the mixture is smooth enough.
Step 4 – how to make besan ladoo
So far so good!
Once this is done, turn off the heat as the besan mix is now thoroughly roasted and carefully move the besan mixture to a separate plate to let it cool down.
Step 5 – how to make besan ladoo
Take the chopped dry fruits and toss them gently over the cold besan mix. If you wish you can also add cardamom powder for additional flavor.
Step 6 – how to make besan ladoo
Your tempting besan ladoo is almost ready.
As the final step, take a small bit of the mixture in your palms and roll it into a spherical shape.
Continue rolling it in your palm until the surface is smooth and shiny.
You can roll and easily make 12-15 ladoos with this amount of mixture depending on the size u make.
Congratulations! Your besan ladoos are ready to be served!
Pro Tips from Experts on how to make besan ladoo
- Roast the besan only on low or medium-low heat and ensure that it is roasted till the time ghee is released.
- While roasting, ensure that the ghee and besan mixture is continuously stirred.
- Traditionally the original ingredient used instead of sugar was ‘boora’ or ‘bura’. This is a Hindi word for unrefined and non-bleached sugar. It’s also available in the markets and can be added if you want to give that extra flavor.
- Care must be taken while adding sugar. If you add sugar before besan is cooked completely, then your ladoo will have the taste of uncooked besan in it.
- Once the mixture has cooled and you still find it difficult to bind it to form a ladoo then here is what you can do. Keep the mixture in the fridge for about 20 mins and as the ghee solidifies, you should be able to make good-looking round-shaped ladoos.
- Once your besan ladoos are ready, they can last afresh for up to 3 weeks. Keep them in an air-tight jar in a cool dry place at normal room temperature.
Nutrition and Calories in Besan Ladoo
1 piece of besan ladoo should be around 42g
|Nutrition||Total weight||% of Daily Value*|
Health Benefits of Besan Ladoo
The tasty homemade besan ladoos also come with immense health benefits. Here I am going to list a few –
Source of energy, prevent anemia
Besan ladoos or gram flour ladoos are a rich source of protein and give you instant energy as you take a bite. So, if you or your kids feel drained or exhausted or lack energy then you must eat at least 1 ladoo a day.
Helps in reducing gluten allergies
Besan is made of dried chickpeas (chana dal) which is totally gluten-free. Besan ladoos are recommended to those who have allergies to gluten-induced foods.
Nourishes your skin
Eating besan ladoo is good for your skin too. It removes the dead skin and keeps your skin moisturized. It also helps to tighten the skin and keeps it glowing.
It makes your hair strong and shiny
Just the way it moisturizes your skin, it adds that extra shine to your hair. Its remarkable properties heal the scalp skin and naturally fight dandruff.
Good for your brain
Besan Ladoos contains folate which is a natural form of Vitamin B9. Having at least 1 besan ladoo meets your daily requirement of folate in your body which is known to stimulate the brain and improve memory.
A few words from CityMom
Now you can also prepare these healthy and hygienic besan ladoos at the comfort of your home and enjoy the tasty delicacy.
My kids absolutely love the homemade version of ladoos. Prepare these ladoos and give your family a piece of health and taste in every bite.
You can also try other homemade sweets for your kids. A quick and healthy recipe is rice pedas which can be made in less than 30 minutes. You can check how to make rice pedas at home and try this delicious sweet for yourself and your family