Do you crave for something sweet after having your meals?
Or have those hunger pangs at odd hours?
Or maybe you simply feel like eating something sweet but holding yourself from eating tasty sweets which are high on calories!
Staying on a strict diet plan for almost 8 months, I can totally understand the feeling.
Acknowledging this need and filling the void, I was looking for an option and found one soon.
Today, I am going to make a delicious south Indian sweet which is a healthy alternative to sugary sweets. The best part is that it is so easy to make and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes
Looks like you have guessed it already. Yes, we are learning how to prepare tasty Rice Pedas at home.
Ingredients to make Rice Pedas at home
Here are the ingredients required to make rice pedas at home.
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Jaggery or sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Coconut milk or milk – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Recipe to make Rice Pedas at Home | How to make Rice Pedas at Home
Step 1 – rice pedas at home
To begin, take 1 cup of rice flour in a pan and start roasting it. Ensure that you roast it over a low flame until it becomes fragrant. Rice flour should not become sticky after being roasted. Once this is done, you can keep the pan with roasted rice flour aside.
Step 2 – rice pedas at home
Now that the rice flour is roasted, we need to prepare the jaggery mixture separately. For this, you can take the 1 cup of jaggery in a big pan and add 1 cup of water to it. Keep stirring the jaggery slowly in the pan till the time it is completely dissolved and forms a chocolaty brown-colored liquid. Taste a spoon of jaggery mixture and ensure it’s sweet as per your liking. You may add a little more jaggery if you need so.
Step 3 – rice pedas at home
As a next step, you need to add 1 cup coconut milk into the liquid jaggery. Mix it well and heat the jaggery milk solution till it starts boiling.
Step 4 – rice pedas at home
Now take the roasted rice flour and add it over the jaggery milk mixture. You need to mix this really well so that mixture thickens properly without leaving any lumps in between.
Step 5 – rice pedas at home
After you mash it and it forms a smooth mixture, add 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder and 2 tablespoon ghee in it. Cook for about a minute or until the glossy peda mixture is ready.
Step 6 – rice pedas at home
Now turn off the gas flame and gently transfer the peda mixture to a glass bowl and let it cool slightly.
Step 7 – rice pedas at home
Begin preparing the peda while the mixture is still warm.
To decorate your rice pedas, you can create your own design using a peda design mold and garnish your rice peda with some nuts.
Congratulations! Your Rice Pedas are ready to be served!
Pro Tips from Experts for making perfect rice pedas at home
- While preparing the peda mixture, cook it only on low flame as it smoothens the rice flour and it roasts properly.
- Rice pedas are best made with Coconut milk as it gives the perfect taste and shine. If you can find a pack of coconut milk then adding that will give the perfect taste and shine to your pedas. However, in case you can’t arrange coconut milk thats okay, you can pick regular milk too.
- Another secret tip is to use Marayoor jaggery. It is the purest jaggery and is made from condensed sugarcane juice. The best part about using Marayoor jaggery is that it simply melts in your mouth as you take a bite. Once again, this is just an option to enhance the taste, if it is not easily available, you may choose to use any other gud/ jaggery available on the shelves or at home.
- With the quantity of the ingredients we have used, we should be able to easily make about 20 rice pedas
- Once the pedas are prepared, keep them refrigirated for 90 minutes. Garnish with dry fruits and enjoy these rice pedas with your friends and family.
- Store these rice pedas in a steel container and keep them in a cool place. Your tasty rice peda stays fresh for about a week when refrigerated.
Nutrition and Calories in Rice Pedas
Here are the nutrition and calorie values.
Health Benefits of Rice Pedas
These tasty rice pedas have numerous health benefits. Here I will list down a few benefits –
Rice Pedas helps you boost immunity
These rice pedas contain antioxidants and minerals such as zinc and selenium, they improve the body’s resistance to any external particles.
It relieves constipation problems
Having jaggery sweets such as rice peda activates the digestive enzymes and naturally cleanses the body. Eating at least 1 peda a day can give relief from constipation-related problems.
Rice pedas help in blood purification
Jaggery-based rice pedas are known to have properties to purify the blood. It removes the toxins from the body, cleanses your blood, and keeps your body healthy.
A Few Words From CityMom
Rice peda is an excellent sweet dessert recipe that can be prepared on special occasions and otherwise too. Based on your needs and style, you may top it with a variety of toppings like coconut, dry fruits, etc. Children and adults both love to have this sweet at any time they are served.
Many traditional sweets have a delicious taste but are high in calories which is why you can’t eat them in good quantity. If you are the one who likes to keep a check on the calorie intake of yourself and your family, then eat this tasty sweet without any worries.
So now you can make this sweet and healthy dessert in a few minutes and share it with your friends and family.
If you want to try other homemade sweets, you can also check how to make besan ladoos at home.